Getting My Drivers License: Before You Drive
- You must be 14 years old to get a permit or license to drive in South Dakota.
- You must at least have an Instructional Permit to drive a car once you are 14.
- You must always be accompanied by a licensed driver 18 years of age or older, with at least one year of driving experience, when you have your permit. They must be present in the seat next to the person holding the instructional permit.
- You must obey all traffic laws all the time, no matter how deserted the road is that you are driving on.
- You may not drive a car if your license or permit has expired.
- A regular driver's license cannot be used to operate a motorcycle. You must obtain a Motorcycle license from Driver's Licensing separately.