SOUTH DAKOTA BOARD OF TECHNICAL PROFESSIONS
2040 West Main Street, Suite 304
Rapid City, SD 57702-2447
Phone: 605-394-2510 Fax: 605-394-2509
FUNDAMENTALS OF ENGINEERING (FE) EXAM APPLICATION
Seniors that are within two semesters of graduating and graduates of ABET accredited engineering programs approved by the board may apply for the FE examination, which is the national examination from the NCEES.
1. A baccalaureate engineering or technology degree accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) www.abet.org;
2. A baccalaureate degree accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) program;
3. A degree from a foreign university evaluated and assessed by the NCEES Credentials Evaluations at the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying Center (NCEES) to be ABET equivalent. The NCEES Credentials Evaluations website is www.ncees.org.
All Applications must submitted to the board office no later than midnight on:
January 1st for the
July 1st for the October exam
1. Handwritten applications will not be accepted.
2. Complete the interactive FE exam application at the end of this webpage.
3. Graduates of an ABET- accredited engineering program must provide a transcript issued directly from the granting institution by the registrarís office. It must be mailed directly to our office.
There will be no charge for the FE exam application to the South Dakota Board office. However, there will be an exam fee when you sign up with our exam vendor National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying Center (NCEES).
CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR EMAIL ADDRESS
If you have an address or email change after you have submitted your application it is your responsibility to notify our office.
APPROVAL OF APPLICATION
If you are in senior status, the board office will contact the school to verify your academic status.
If you are a graduate, you will need to have a transcript issued from the school directly to our office. You will want to contact the school to see if there is a fee for this service. The board office will not contact the school to verify your graduation. Our office must receive an official transcript by mail.
After evaluation of your FE exam application and academic verification you will be advised in writing by the board office if you have been approved or not approved for the examination.
The board office will notify you by writing within 5 weeks after the application deadline.
DO NOT register with NCEES until you receive an approval letter from the South Dakota Board of Technical Professions office.
The approval letter from the board office will contain information necessary for you to register for the examination with NCEESwww.ncees.org so that you can meet their deadlines.
(they will vary on the exact date)
3rd to 4th week
of February for the April exam
1st week of September for the October exam
A board approved FE exam applicant who fails to pass the first examination may retake the examination two times. If an applicant fails an examination three times, the applicant must submit a new application for board approval and take the examination only once each calendar year thereafter. Failure of an applicant to attend an examination for which the applicant has been scheduled to attend does not count as a failure of the examination. The board may review an applicant who fails the examination three times.